The Light Keeps Us Safe is a first-person stealth game that puts emphasis on hide-and-run rather than violence. It was developed by Big Robot and was released on Steam last October 11, 2018 as an Early Access game. Big Robot’s earlier games, Sir, You Are Being Hunted and The Signal From Tölva, support Linux so I contacted the game developer and asked about the Linux version of their new game.
Jim Rossignol: We’ll aim to do a release of The Light Keeps Us Safe on Linux, as we have done for all our games, but we can’t speculate on the timing.
When asked about the new feature of the Steam Linux client that enables Windows games to be run within the Steam Linux client, here is what he has to say:
Jim Rossignol: Big Robot would like to see more people using Linux as their primary operating system. Consequently we can see the arguments back and forth with regards to what Proton offers, but our position would be that anything which encourages users to opt for a Linux machine over Windows would be a good thing, especially when gaming is one of the primary issues holding people back. If the overall Linux user population increases, then we would imagine more devs would be inclined to produce a native version, regards of Proton.
While The Light Keeps Us Safe is still not officially released for Linux, the Windows version already runs on Linux through Steam Play. It also displays correctly using Mesa, no graphical glitches were observed.
- A sprawling world of stealth, survival, and exploration from the makers of SIR, YOU ARE BEING HUNTED and THE SIGNAL FROM TÖLVA.
- Horrifying and aggressive alien-machine enemies! Run, hide, and stave off death at the hands of a nightmarish cast of evil machines. Fight your instincts as you hide from light-fearing enemies in plain sight, in spotlights, under streetlamps, or even among the failing, flickering illuminations of burned out factories and railway yards.
- Unique light-based puzzles and challenges. Upgrade your modular flashlight to discover hidden structures, charge up light-sensitive machines, dazzle and overload enemies!
- Fiendish traps and disturbing hostile environments! Discover a grim world of pitfalls, poison, tripwires, booby-traps and hallucinations.
- A dark and disorentating procedurally-generated environment, different for each playthrough!