In the Assassin’s Creed Showcase during last Sunday’s Ubisoft Forward, Ubisoft announced multiple projects in the Assassin’s Creed franchise. First up is Assassin’s Creed Mirage, the next installment in the Assassin’s Creed franchise, launching in 2023. In addition, the roadmap of the brand’s future has been unveiled with the next two HD flagship games Codename RED and Codename HEXE as part of the Codename INFINITY hub, along with the AAA mobile game Codename JADE and more information about the collaboration with Netflix. Assassin’s Creed Mirage will release on Xbox Series X | S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, as well as on Windows PC through the Epic Games Store and the Ubisoft Store.
Assassin’s Creed Mirage: Cinematic World Premiere | #UbiForward
With development led by Ubisoft Bordeaux, the studio behind the Wrath of the Druids expansion for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Assassin’s Creed Mirage invites players to immerse themselves in a magnificent ninth-century Baghdad at the peak of its Golden Age. It offers a narrative-driven action-adventure experience with an intriguing coming-of-age storyline, charismatic protagonists, a majestic open city and modernized legacy gameplay focusing on parkour, stealth and assassinations. They will embody a new hero, Basim Ibn Is’haq (yep, that Basim from Valhalla), a singular street thief with a mysterious past, who will join the Hidden Ones in Alamut on a quest for answers. Basim’s mentor, Roshan, will be voiced by Emmy-winning actress Shohreh Aghdashloo. Assassin’s Creed Mirage is an homage to the series, and a particularly special tribute to the first Assassin’s Creed. The announcement of the game comes with a cinematic reveal trailer with original music composed by Brendan Angelides, who is also the music composer for the game.
“For the 15th anniversary of the franchise we wanted to offer something special to the players and our community”, said Stéphane Boudon, Senior Content Director for Assassin’s Creed Mirage. “Assassin’s Creed Mirage is a tribute to the franchise, and notably to the original game. We are bringing a modern take on the iconic Assassin’s Creed gameplay experience, as well as a deep dive into the rituals and tenets of the Hidden Ones, something we think both longtime and new fans alike will be eager to play”.
Assassin’s Creed Mirage: Developer Trailer Breakdown | #UbiForward
In true Ubisoft fashion, the Assassin’s Creed Mirage Deluxe Edition and Collector’s Case were announced:
- The Deluxe Edition: will include the base game, digital artbook and soundtrack, as well as a Deluxe pack containing a Prince of Persia–inspired outfit, eagle and mount skins, weapons, and more.
- The Collector’s Case will include the Deluxe Edition with a high-quality figurine of Basim (32cm), an exclusive SteelBook with a design to be elected by fans, a mini-artbook, a replica of Basim’s brooch, a map of Baghdad as well as a selected soundtrack of the game. The Collector’s Case is available from the Ubisoft Store and select retailers.
Fans who pre-order Assassin’s Creed Mirage will receive a bonus quest at launch called The Forty Thieves, where players will uncover the mysteries of Ali Baba’s legendary cave.
This announcement is the culmination of months of speculation surrounding an Assassin’s Creed game that is a “return” or an “homage” to previous games before the shift to the current action-RPG oriented gameplay. Some rumors pin the game as originally being one of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla’s last major DLCs (which isn’t surprising as it features an important Valhalla character). It would be interesting to see if Ubisoft can replicate the old feeling of the legacy games.
Eivor’s Last Chapter
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla continues to receive new updates and exciting content in its second year of post-launch. But all things must end, and in a few months Ubisoft will launch the Last Chapter, a free quest in which Eivor will reunite with some key characters including some influential historical figures. There are also special rewards available in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla starting today. The last time an Assassin’s Creed character was given a final arc to close out their story was in the Ezio trilogy with Assassin’s Creed Revelations wrapping up the story of both Ezio and Altair.
The future of the brand was also unveiled during the Assassin’s Creed Showcase, most of whom are still under Project Codenames. The next two HD flagship games, Codename RED and Codename HEXE, will be part of Codename INFINITY, as well as information about the AAA mobile game Codename JADE, and the collaboration with Netflix:
- Assassin’s Creed Codename RED is the next flagship title after Assassin’s Creed Mirage and the future of the open world RPG in Assassin’s Creed. It is being developed by Ubisoft Quebec, the studio behind Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, with Jonathan Dumont as Creative Director. Here players will be able to explore a long-awaited setting for an Assassin’s Creed game: feudal Japan and all its shinobi fantasies.
- Assassin’s Creed Codename HEXE is the next flagship title after Codename RED. It is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal, birthplace of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, with Clint Hocking as Creative Director.
- Assassin’s Creed Codename INFINITY will connect projects and players through different types of experiences, including released Assassin’s Creed games and the next ones to launch: Codename Red and Codename HEXE, the next two HD flagship games. As part of Codename INFINITY, multiplayer is set to return as a standalone experience in the Assassin’s Creed franchise.
- The Assassin’s Creed Codename JADE is a AAA RPG action-adventure game for mobile platforms set in Ancient China. Players will be able to create their own character and discover the story of the first Assassins in China. It will be free to play.
- The live-action Assassin’s Creed series from Ubisoft Film & Television and Netflix is going to be an epic, genre-blending adaptation of the highly successful video game franchise. The collaboration does not end there, however, as Netflix is also collaborating on an exclusive Assassin’s Creed game to be made available on their platform.
“By celebrating the franchise’s 15th anniversary, we wanted to not only honor our players and the people behind the brand, but also share our ambitions for the future of Assassin’s Creed with our fans. We are looking to expand the universe and continue to offer compelling, immersive experiences. We have countless stories to tell and we want history to be everybody’s playground.”, said Marc-Alexis Côté, Executive Producer on Assassin’s Creed.
Assassin’s Creed: Beyond the Creed | 15th Anniversary Documentary