Here’s the full patch notes, this time with an introduction by Scarizard:
Welcome to patch 4.16! We’ve got a sizeable Gameplay Update to everyone’s favorite snake lady Cassiopeia, but aside from that we’re going pretty light on the balance side. Similar to 4.15, a lot of the changes you’ll see below are focused on smoothing out some champion interactions, or just plain ol’ bugfixin’ goodness (Check out the context below for what’s happening with Wall-Slams!)
For all things non-balance though, we’ve got a little more meat for you. First up, in addition to her Gameplay Update we mentioned earlier, Cassiopeia is joined by Renekton for updates to their visuals! Follow that up with new base splash arts for the desert-dwelling duo and Akali and Orianna, and this patch is set to delight all the art fans out there.
As we mentioned last patch, we’ve started patching some finished pieces of Summoner’s Rift to the live environment in order to minimize the size (and download times) of the eventual Summoner’s Rift launch patch. These pieces aren’t usable and we don’t have an official release date – for now these pieces will just be preemptively sitting on your hard drives.
That’s it for me! Check out the full breakdown in the notes below, and be careful out on the Rift – there’s been a lot of sandstorms recently…Patrick “Scarizard” Scarborough
Cassiopeia’s high DPS has always sat alongside her poison as defining characteristics of the serpent lady. Historically however, these traits have led to oppressive gameplay that’s as challenging for the opponent to deal with as it is to understand (THANKS DAMAGE OVER TIME). To preserve both sides of what makes Cassi unique, we realized we had to modify the relationship between the two.
In this update, the key to Cassiopeia’s heavy-hitting damage potential lies within her new passive, Aspect of the Serpent. Cassi builds power throughout the game as she poisons enemy champions, unlocking stat bonuses to fuel her (now more powerful) Twin Fang. This new aspect (heh) of growing her end-game scaling allows us to solidly push her into the ‘completely-absurd-damage-potential’ space she’s currently hanging around. This comes at the cost of some early game power, but make no mistake – you can expect to see a late-game Cassiopeia as one of the most potent damage threats in the League.
NEWPassive – Aspect of the Serpent
Q – Noxious Blast
W – Miasma
E – Twin Fang
R – Petrifying Gaze
R – Pyroclasm
W – Valkyrie
Continuing to clean up GNAR! with some consistency work across all wall-slams. As with the changes to Poppy and Vayne you’ll see below, we’ll be watching to see the effects of these changes play out and ready to adjust accordingly.
R – GNAR!
Q – Bladesurge
E – Heroic Charge
Full disclosure – we’re not 100% on what the impact of changing this will be as it’s hard to know how much random Energy this was giving Shen in teamfights. If Shen needs love as a result we’re happy to give it, but he shouldn’t have to rely on a bug for power.
E – Shadow Dash
In 4.13 we introduced a line indicator (similar to Xerath) over his previous circular one, hoping it would increase accuracy and satisfaction for Varus players – as it turns out, neither of those things happened (OOPS) so we’re taking it back to the original. Thanks for the feedback, y’all!
Q – Piercing Arrow
E – Condemn
The decision to fix this wasn’t for power reasons, but rather to fulfill player expectations on how Tides of Blood should work. We’ll be monitoring to make sure he doesn’t go crazy, but for now Vlad players are a little less thirsty.
E – Tides of Blood
With the Chronokeeper back in the spotlight, we figured it’s as good a time as any to help players realize when he’s got their back.
R – Chronoshift
As we’ve mentioned previously, the splash art team is engaged in a long-term effort to update our oldest base splashes. We’ve got a few more fresh updates for this patch. Yes, this is the same context we used in 4.15.
Ascension, our next Featured Game Mode, is coming shortly after the release of patch 4.16! More information soon – keep an eye out for all the details!
- The graphs below the scoreboard have been collectively labelled as theÂ Match OverviewÂ tab.
- We’ve added a tab forÂ Player Builds. This tab will retroactively populate for all matches played since the release of patch 4.14, displaying:
- Item Purchase Order (including item selling)
- Ability Order (including Kha’Zix evolutions)
- The Match Data section has been moved into its own tab, labeledÂ Statistics.
- The advantage graph in the Match Overview tab now shows point advantage instead of gold advantage for Dominion (as well as the upcoming Ascension featured game mode). This change will apply to matches played from 4.16 onward.
- Fixed various bugs with the patcher and landing page update
- We’ve made a number of adjustments and fixes to the reskinned chat system based on your feedback:
- Private chat windows once again display online presence
- Group chat rosters now indicate online presence as well
- Increased the size of group chat windows
- Both private and group chat windows can be minimized by clicking the chat window header bar
- The friend list scroll bar is now easier to click and drag
- The Reconnect button should now always display for players who crash out of a game
- Fixed a bug where dragon was dealing more damage than intended
- Fixed an issue that caused enemy item purchases to sporadically never update on the scoreboard
- Fixed a bug where, for a given trap ability, the in-game model of some (not all) placed traps permanently disappeared for players who reconnected to a match
Points of interest in 4.16
New Champion – Azir
While he likely won’t be available for purchase and play right away, Azir, The Emperor of the Sands is included in the 4.16 patch!
Azir, The Emperor of the Sands
Joining Azir Â is his release skin “Galactic Azir”
Model & Texture Updates – Cassiopeia and Renekton
Renekton and Cassiopeia have also received texture updates and new splash arts in 4.16! We’ll have a comprehensive look at all of their updated skins coming as soon as the patch hits live!
As mentioned above, Cassiopeia has also received a gameplay update and vfx updates in this patch!
New Skin – Guardian of the Sands Kha’Zix
Guardian of the Sands Kha’Zix
New Ward Skins
Sad Mummy Ward
New Featurd Gameplay Mode – Ascension
Ascension, the new featured gameplay mode pitting players against an Ascendant and battling it out to see who among them will Ascend, is also included in this patch but will likely not be available right away.
New Splash Art
AkaliÂ andÂ OriannaÂ have also received new base splash arts in 4.15!
To go with their roles in the upcoming Shurima event, Cassiopeia, Sivir, Renekton, and Xerath have all had a ton of lines added to their VOs, including some with Ascension specific special dialogues and new taunts for each other!
New Summoner Icons
Several new Shurima themed icons have been added, although we have no heard any details on availability or how to obtain them just yet. These are likely tied to Ascension.
Urgot has a fancy new auto attack particle!
As mentioned above, Zilean’s ultimate now triggers a screen indicator for those he cats it on.
We also have a new font and art assets for the in-game announcements and multi kill call outs