The release of every new processor generation always heralds a new chipset… at least that’s what Intel has done for the past decade but it seems the chip giant has other plans for its 4th-generation HEDT. We’ve seen the X79 chipset released more than a year ago and despite that fact Intel has decided to stick with the existing platform (X79) for the 4th-gen chips. The somewhat older chipset combined with the lukewarm reception of the new HEDT processors hasn’t done much to give Intel any boost in reputation with enthusiasts.
That last statement though doesn’t stop motherboardÂ manufacturers in creating new products for the 4th-generation HEDT processors, though not all. Plenty of companies decided to stick with BIOS updates and skip a refresh altogether but some decided to update their existing product line. In today’s review, we’ll look at what is arguably the only new considerable X79 motherboard in the market: the ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition (R4BE). As the flagship of the Republic of Gamers (ROG) brand, this motherboard is far from its Rampage IV Extreme brethren.
Its time to go back to the land of the extreme as we break out the Core i7 4960X, Intel’s highest-end 4th-gen chip along with the Rampage IV Black Edition in this double-feature. We take a look at Intel’s newest flagship and what it can do along with what can only be the most advanced X79 motherboard that supports it. Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for an extreme overload!
- IntelÂ® Coreâ„¢ i7 Processors for LGA 2011 socket
- IntelÂ® X79 Express Chipset
- OC PanelÂ – Overclocking Command Center
- Extreme Engine Digi+ IIIÂ – Hardcore power delivery with premium components
- SupremeFX BlackÂ – Amazing 120dB signal-to-noise ratio with integrated 600ohm-headphone amplifier
- Subzero SenseÂ – Find out how cold your board is
- VGA HotwireÂ – Hotwire your system
- GameFirst II + Intel LANÂ – Put Your Frags First
- Sonic RadarÂ – Scan and detect to dominate
- RAMDiskÂ – Double up on speed with RAM
- 4-Way NIVDIAÂ® SLIâ„¢ / AMD CrossFireXâ„¢ Support
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac/Bluetooth 4.0
Full specs: Rampage IV Black Edition product page