With news of the Z390 already looming during the launch of the Z370 and 8th-gen Core processors, it was understandable that ASUS had skipped that generation with a full stack release of the ROG line. There was no Gene nor Extreme during the Z370 release wave and for good measure. If ever the Z390 arrived for 8-core parts, that would’ve been the more logical choice. And fast-forward a few months later and we have that exact moment.
The ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME is the culmination of everything ASUS has developed in recent years in terms of motherboard design aimed at providing the best performance possible. With the Formula variant now aimed at watercooling enthusiasts seeking a more aesthetically pleasing build and the Extreme line focusing on delivering the most powerful platform available to maximize the current generation chipset, ASUS ROG strategy has basically given both models the flagship status.
In this review we’ll take a look at the performance flagship model of the Z390 range from ASUS, the ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME. A larger EATX motherboard featuring everything ASUS can cram in a single motherboard. Read on to find out more!
- LGA1151 socket: Ready for 9th/8th Generation Intel® Core™ desktop processors.
- ROG Eco-System: ASUS-exclusive Aura Sync RGB lighting, including headers for both standard and addressable RGB strips
- Perfected cooling: Dedicated water-cooling zones, M.2 heatsink and flexible fan controls.
- ROG DIMM.2: Vertically-installed dual-M.2 expansion card with heatsink for maximum cooling and performance.
- 5-Way Optimization: Automated system-wide tuning, providing AI overclocking and cooling profiles tailor-made for your rig.
- Gaming connectivity: Aquantia 5G LAN and Intel Gigabit Ethernet onboard, four M.2, USB 3.1 Gen 2, Intel 2×2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO support, LANGuard and GameFirst
- Gaming audio: High-fidelity sonics that draw you deeper into the action, with SupremeFX and Sonic Studio III
- Gaming durability: ROG patented pre-mounted I/O shield, ASUS SafeSlot, and premium components for maximum durability